Monday 22 October 2012

Khao Niew Mamuang - Sticky Rice with Mango

I spent part of this summer in Thailand with my family. I love to travel, but this really was a once in a lifetime experience and I would recommend everybody to jump on the next plane and see all the incredible sights before they disappear into a tourist crazy oblivion.

Thai is my favourite cuisine (well, it was before I over-indulged on it in Thailand) so I jumped at the chance to complete a Thai cookery class at the multi award-winning Boathouse restaurant in Phuket. We cooked and ate and cooked some more all day, it was delightful. I digress.

Coconut sticky rice, served still warm with ripe mango and coconut ice cream. Doesn't that sound nice? Yes is the answer. Especially with this recipe fresh from Thailand.
Ingredients
240ml coconut milk (not coconut water!!)
200g sticky rice (can be found in most large supermarkets)
3-5tbs sugar
1tsp salt
1 pandanus leaf (if you can get one)
1 fresh mango to serve
coconut (or other) ice cream

Method
  1. Soak rice in cold water for 2 hours (or overnight if you can), drain, then steam for 25-30 minutes, turn it over and steam for another 25-30 minutes
  2. While the rice is steaming, heat the coconut milk, crush the pandanus leaf and add it to the milk with the sugar and salt, let it boil
  3. After the second-steam, tip the rice into a bowl, remove the pandanus leaf and pour 2/3 of the milk mixture over it, stir and leave to soak in for 15-20 minutes
  4. Serve with a little extra milk poured over, with sliced mango and a scoop of coconut ice cream

Enjoy! :) x

3 comments:

  1. I love this combination, Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm half Thai, and I can confirm that this is a very accurate and authentic recipe.

    What you've cooked looks delicious! And I love your blog, you hunt out such wonderful, delicious recipes.

    Hamiltonx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, thanks- I need to get round to putting my other thai recipes on here, Thai food really is the best!

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete