The white chocolate addition was a bit of a trial but I think it worked really nicely. It's really your choice which chocolate you use to top them, or be greedy like me and use both!
I also made a very large mix of them so i'm going to post my recipe, halved!
175g butter (room temp)
75g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
225g plain flour
Salted caramel ingredients
1 397g can of sweetened condensed milk (i used carnation)
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbs golden syrup
400g Either milk or white chocolate- depending on how adventurous you're feeling!
(preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, grease a square cake tin)
- Put all of the shortbread ingredients into a large bowl and using your fingers, form a rough dough
- Press the dough into your cake tin and prick all over with a fork
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to 150 and cook for a further 35-40 minutes
- Meanwhile, place all of the caramel ingredients into a big saucepan, stir on a medium heat until the butter is melted then bring to the boil for 10 minutes, stirring
- When the shortbread is out, pour the caramel over and place in the fridge until the caramel is cooled and slightly firm
- Melt the chocolate, pour over and leave to set, once again
- Cut into squares